Announcing the 2022
Carlos Cordero (Texas)
Jeffrey Derus (California)
Daniel Gledhill (California)
Karl Kim (New Jersey)
Ily Matthew Maniano (Philippines)
Andrew Maxfield (Utah)
Luke Mayernik (Ohio)
Kenneth Tay (Singapore)
Charles West (United Kingdom)
Composers are invited to submit a new work for Ensemble Altera’s second annual Composition Competition. The winning work(s) will be premiered and recorded by the ensemble as part of its summer project, The Lamb’s Journey. A prize fund of $500 is available.
ABOUT THE COMPETITION
Composers are invited to set William Blake’s ‘The Lamb’ (text printed in the PDF below). The work should be an a cappella composition lasting between three and five minutes, scored for any combination of mixed voices up to eight parts (e.g.: SATB, SSATB, SSAATTBB, SATB.SATB) This competition is open to all composers, regardless of age or experience. The deadline for submissions is Friday July 15, 2022.
The competition will be judged by a specially convened panel including at least one academician, one industry professional, and one member of the ensemble. The panel reserves the right to divide the prize money between multiple winners if there is no consensus, or to choose no winner if none of the submissions meets a minimum artistic standard.
1. Entrants are required to submit a setting of the complete text of William Blake’s poem, ‘The Lamb’ (text printed below).
2. The work should be scored for unaccompanied mixed voices up to 8 parts, for example SATB, SSATB, SATBarB, SSAATTBB, SATB.SATB.
3. The work should ideally last between three and five minutes, but shorter or longer works of exceptional quality will be considered.
4. Scores should be typeset on electronic engraving software, and delivered in PDF form, and where possible accompanied by a recorded sequence of the work.
5. The competition is open to composers of any race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or age.
6. Only one application per composer will be considered.
Scores should be sent in PDF form along with sequenced recordings and the attached application to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for submissions is Friday, July 15, 2022.
A prize fund of $500 is available, to be allocated at the panel’s discretion, either to one or multiple winning compositions, or not at all if none of the submissions meet a minimum artistic standard.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. The work must be original and the entry form signed with the written guarantee that it is solely the work of the composer.
2. The work must not have had a public performance, nor a recording that is publicly available (whether commercial or not), nor a broadcast of any sort.
3. The competition will be judged by a specially convened panel including at least one academician in a related field, one industry professional, and one member of Ensemble Altera.
4. The winner(s) will be notified by the end of July 2022; the first performances of the work(s) will be given during the weekend of August 19-21, 2022.
5. The winner(s) grant exclusive rights to Ensemble Altera to perform for a period of 3 months, and to record the work(s) as part of Altera’s debut commercial recording project, The Lamb’s Journey. These rights must be granted to Altera with no additional fees or licenses.
6. In all matters relating to the competition the decision of the panel is final and no correspondence regarding the result will be entertained, apart from the winning entrants.
7. Personal details on the entry form will be processed according to best data protection practices. The winning entrant(s) is/are expected to be identified and promoted in post-competition publicity and to agree to their name(s) being made publicly known.
8. All entrants will be notified of the outcome by email by the end of July 2022.
In an effort to prevent any conflicts of interest or perceived conflicts of interest arising during the judging process, all submissions will be anonymized by a third party ahead of time and will be judged blindly by all members of the panel.
Please click on the downloadable PDF for the required text and entry form. Submit all materials to email@example.com.